- "This charnel house bore the unmistakable marks of Melchiah’s clan. To what depths had our dynasty plummeted, if these ghouls were the descendants of my high-born brother? Were they so debased as to recruit fledglings from the desiccated corpses here interred?"
- ―Raziel — Listen (file info)[src]
Profile[edit | edit source]
The Necropolis consists of several large outdoor and indoor areas. Raziel gets first greeted by the cemetery which was the source of corpses for the clan. There is a charnel house at the top of the cemetery which houses a Warp Gate and leads further into the lake district. The lake is a hub area from which several locations are accessible. Raziel can travel to the crypts and use a shortcut to the upper lake portion leading to Melchiah´s chamber which can be created via stack of blocks. The two underwater tunnels lead to the Stone and Force Glyphs.
Cemetery[edit | edit source]
The cemetery is accessed by the large metal gate and its entrance is guarded by a human vampire hunter. This area has three vertical plateaus that Raziel needs to climb. The middle part has many graves and two adult Melchahim patrolling the area. In order to reach the top, Raziel needs to move the block in the right alcove. The top plateau has more graves, a large bonfire in front of Melchiah´s mural and two staircases leading into the charnel house.
The Charnel House[edit | edit source]
The charnel house interior is divided into two floors. The first floor has an ornate window with a shaft of sunlight pouring through. The spiral staircase leads to the bottom part with the Warp gate. This is the only Warp gate in the whole game which has a different entrance and an exit.
The Exterior Lake[edit | edit source]
Once outside the Warp gate´s door, Raziel finds a large area dominated by a lake. The bank closest to the warp gate has four pillars supporting an overhead tunnel. In order to get across the lake, Raziel needs to jump on broken pillars to find a door leading to the crypts.
The Small Crypt[edit | edit source]
This area houses three crypts out of which one has a Soul Reaver symbol and is movable. Two fledgling Dumahim guard this area.
After Raziel acquires the wraithblade and uses it on the crypt´s side keyhole, the crypt slides to the back revealing an opening underneath. This narrow tunnel widens into an antechamber with another crossed Soul Reaver symbol. Inside, there is a supporting pillar in the middle and behind it, Raziel finds his first Eldritch energy upgrade.
The Large Crypt[edit | edit source]
The large crypt area is divided by a set of two grates. In order to open them, Raziel needs to push both blocks into the wall slots, allowing him passage. The first area has a supporting pillar in the middle with one arm partially collapsed. It also houses 8 crypts. The second area has a lot higher ceiling with two moving platforms and a pulley mechanism. It also has 21 crypts housed in its surrounding walls.
The Hallway[edit | edit source]
The long hallway has a gate which opens after a block is inserted and leads back outside to the lake district.
The Cove[edit | edit source]
This area is only accessible from the crypts. It has a small bonfire and a block which can be pushed off to create a path to the upper lake area.
The Main Crypt[edit | edit source]
This area houses parts of the large machinery along its sides. The central platform can descend after it was turned on in the engine room. Once dropped to the appropriate level, Raziel can move blocks with fire on top along the platform´s grooves.
The Engine Room[edit | edit source]
The engine room has a main crank which turns on the platform in the main crypt.
Melchiah[edit | edit source]
Melchiah´s throne room resembles a torture chamber. The room is spacious but dark, illuminated merely by the torches on the walls. There is a large meat grinder suspended above a metal cage in the middle. The floor in the cage appears to be stained in blood from past executions. There are two small chambers with a switch and a spiked gate which can be dropped onto Melchiah. Melchahim clan symbols are engraved in the alcove where Melchiah sits.
The Force Glyph Altar[edit | edit source]
The Force Glyph altar consists of a long hallway and a round room made out of white stone. Raziel needs to push down all the pillars in order to activate the eyes of the large stone face representing Nupraptor.
Development[edit | edit source]
The Necropolis has several elements that were changed during development and appeared differently in the alpha builds:
- There is no Melchahim symbol gateway. In its place is a black impassable barrier and the first jump platform is missing
- At the top of the graveyard area the mural shows figures taking dead bodies to the charnel house rather than Melchiah himself. The Charnel house itself has a fence partway across, no sunbeams and no gate.
- At the water jump there is no climbing wall or collectible. The gate at the end of the area is covered with unique textures in the alpha - In earlier builds it just has a criss-cross pattern, but later builds have large repeated Melchahim faces.
- The morgue/small crypt area behind is open-roofed with part of the ceiling support having collapsed. There is no Reaver crypt or secret passage.
- The large crypt has a shadowy feel and darker textures more appropriate to the area, with morgue drawers and a much foreboding atmosphere - but this appears to be scrapped in the latest build. The pit area has a ramp on the side -betas continued to experiment with ramps here. The block puzzle is changed and a number of different solutions are experimented with through the alpha builds.
- The second lake area does not contain passage to the Force Glyph Altar - that shrine is instead found in the Drowned Abbey in this version.
- The large platform area has much more ornate patterned textures, but is unstable and prone to crashes. The flaming blocks are developed through successive builds
- Melchiah's chamber has a much higher 'throne' platform with no obvious way to get up to it. The switch atop the platform does activate the meat grinder but it can be activated at any time rather than only after the side levers – once activated the grinder will continue to oscillate up and down. The side chambers feature portcullises which change with successive builds as the mechanics are implemented.
Notes[edit | edit source]
The Elder God refers to this area in his help dialogue as the Gardens of the Dead.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
- The Necropolis at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn).
- Map at Nosgothic Realm (by Tenaya, Guilherme Coelho and Andrew Fradley).
References[edit | edit source]
Browse[edit | edit source]