Lightning Demons were hostile creatures native to the Demon Dimension. They were tall and thin, with grey or brown bodies. In place of arms they had large pinchers that conducted a blue electricity, as well as two large horns and several smaller spikes which appeared to conduct electricity[Soul Reaver 2].
Lightning demons were dangerous close-range enemies. They could use electricity offensively in melee attacks, utilising several powerful chop and swipes using their pincers, including a devastating 'lifting shock' special attack. They were very fast, often attacked in groups and were defensively skilled (particularly against lunges), though they were vulnerable to sidesteps and heavy crouching strikes.[Soul Reaver 2 strategy guide (Prima)]. Like all the demons Raziel fought in Soul Reaver 2, Lightning demons could follow him into the spectral realm and could also create combat barriers to prevent him escaping[Soul Reaver 2 strategy guide (Prima)][Soul Reaver 2 manual][Soul Reaver 2 strategy guide (Prima)]
Raziel first encountered Lightning demons in the Demon-infested Sarafan Stronghold shortly after he emerged from its Time-streaming chamber in the Era following Blood Omen. They would frequently be encountered throughout that era, particularly in the Mountains, though some were encountered in the Air Forge[Soul Reaver 2]. When Raziel continued his quest into Nosgoth's early history, Lightning demons were among the Demon enemies that appeared (apparently 'transported' from the Post-Blood Omen era) to taunt and confront Raziel as he attempted to return to the Sarafan Stronghold; again they confronted him in the Mountains[Soul Reaver 2].
- Lightning Demons are referred to as such in the Prima Guide[Soul Reaver 2 strategy guide (Prima)] and other sources and as "demonbb" in game files[Soul Reaver 2] and as "Gray Demon" in scripts and the former official website. Other behind the scenes information combines both titles as "Gray Lightning demon".
- Many demons variants in Soul Reaver 2 share similarities with their Blood Omen counterparts; Lightning demons notably have a similar color and similar lightning/electricity association as the Lightning spitters seen in Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain[Blood Omen]; though it is unclear if the Soul Reaver 2 demons were intended as re-interpretations of Blood Omen's demons or simply different demon races. A similar Lightning Demon variant was included in Legacy of Kain: Defiance, appearing with a subtly darker color-scheme and new attacks[Defiance]. It is ultimately unclear if these similar variants were intended to be the same Demon sub-species (with differing artistic interpretations, or perhaps at different stages in its life-cycle) or if they were different sub-species altogether.
- Lightning demons, like other demon enemies, are presumably native to the Demon Realm and affiliated with the Hylden.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Bestiary: GameFAQs. Soul Reaver 2 FAQ/Walkthrough/Soul Reaver 2|Online (by Celtic Wolf).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Gray Demon: Crystal Dynamics. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 (Eidos Interactive). (2001) Gray Demon at the Official Soul Reaver 2 site (preserved at Dark Chronicle)
- ↑ (~Raziel is trapped between two energy barriers. Two purple demons teleport in and drop down before Raziel.~) Purple Demon: "We have been expecting you, little Raziel."//Raziel (VO): "So, these demonic pests were not merely the product of Nosgoth’s corrupted future – for here they were, hurdling back over five centuries to pursue me. These creatures, I suspected, were minions of the unseen forces that had hoped to control me. This was the tangible expression of their displeasure – these demons were unleashed as the penalty for my disobedience." Crystal Dynamics. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2. (Eidos Interactive). PlayStation 2. (October 31, 2001) Transcript.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 (~Raziel’s path is once again blocked by energy barriers. Two grey demons teleport in and drop down right beside Raziel.~) Gray Demon 1: "Do you really think you can save Nosgoth?"//Gray Demon 2: "Let me enlighten you, poor Raziel…" Crystal Dynamics. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2. (Eidos Interactive). PlayStation 2. (October 31, 2001) Transcript.
- ↑ Gray Lightning Demon at Spectraljin.com archives (by Daniel Cabuco), Archived at Legacy of Kain Wiki