Freeport was a Nosgoth human settlement in the era following Blood Omen, seen only in Blood Omen 2. It was ostensibly one of the larger cities in southern Nosgoth, and acted as a theater of conflict in the vampire-Sarafan war.
Profile[edit | edit source]
During his conquest of Nosgoth with his vampire army, roughly two centuries after the collapse of the Pillars, Kain perused a map of the southern region of the land. Alongside other landmarks, Freeport featured on this chart, and the trail of annexation which Kain plotted led the vampire army through its confines. After passing through Ziegsturhl and Provance, the vampires veered west to seize Freeport, before continuing southeast to challenge their Sarafan adversaries at Meridian.[Blood Omen 2/1]
The later fate of Freeport in the post-Blood Omen era was uncertain, but, following Kain's defeat at the hands of the Hylden Lord and the routing of the vampire army in the battle of Meridian, it was presumably recaptured by the Sarafan – if it still stood.
By the events of Soul Reaver, Freeport had apparently been destroyed in the wake of Kain's empire, as the City was regarded as housing the "few humans that still [existed]" in that time period.[Soul Reaver manual (US)]
Design[edit | edit source]
Though depicted only in a map, Freeport was portrayed as a coastal settlement, bordered by the Great Southern Sea on the west. It lay south of the Lake of Tears, west of Provance, and southwest of the Pillars of Nosgoth. Judging from the map, it was a walled city, partially surrounded by mountains.
By appearances, Freeport seemed to be much bigger than Ziegsturhl, and larger than Provance, but not as expansive as Meridian.
The map portrayed Freeport as home to a bay, with a nearby lone building situated on a rocky peninsula just southwest of the city. Illustrations in the surrounding sea may have implied heavy shipping use, or many shipwrecks, in the adjacent waters.
Development[edit | edit source]
Much like other locations in Nosgoth's southern regions, Freeport was added to the Legacy of Kain series by the developers of Blood Omen 2, as opposed to the other Crystal Dynamics team led by Amy Hennig:
Notes[edit | edit source]
- In Blood Omen 2's introduction cinematic, overlaid images of Faustus killing humans appear as the trail of Kain's conquest passes through Freeport on the map behind. This may insinuate that Faustus partook in the siege at Freeport. Similar imagery corresponds to Marcus and Ziegsturhl.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
- Freeport and Provance at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Walter).
- Maps (Blood Omen 2) at Nosgothic Realm (by Tenaya and Daniel Von Stein).
References[edit | edit source]
- Freeport and Provance at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Walter)
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- Maps (Blood Omen 2) at Nosgothic Realm (by Tenaya and Daniel Von Stein)
- Blood Omen 2 Designer Diary #1 at GameSpot, page 1 (by Steve Ross)
- Legacy of Kain: Defiance Designer Diary #1 at GameSpot, page 1 (by Richard Lemarchand)
- Blood Omen 2 at DCabDesign (by Divine Shadow), post #2 (by Daniel Cabuco)
Browse[edit | edit source]