The Force Glyph like other glyphs in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver was an entirely optional enhancement and it was not necessary to visit the altar as part of the story of the game. The Force Glyph altar was the earliest glyph altar which Raziel had the potential to discover and activate and he could access it as soon as he had devoured Melchiah's soul and obtained the phasing through gates ability.[Soul Reaver][Soul Reaver/5][Soul Reaver/Force]
The altar was found underwater in the small cove area of the Necropolis behind one of a pair of passages blocked by grates and could be reached by going through an underwater passage from the lake or by dropping down from the banks of the cove. One of the grates blocked off a recess with a health power-up while the other led directly up a ramp to a dry, isolated chamber – the Force Glyph altar.[Soul Reaver][Soul Reaver/Force]
To obtain the glyph, Raziel was obliged to solve a simple puzzle. The altar contained three obelisk pillars, arranged in such a fashion that toppling them would cause them to converge at the room's center, forming the Force Glyph symbol. By shoving the pillars to the floor Raziel activated the statue, causing its eyelids to open. Beams of pure, white light radiated from its eyes to the heart of the room and the Force Glyph promptly emerged from above, ready to be claimed.[Soul Reaver][Soul Reaver/Force]
The Force Glyph altar branched off from an underwater passage beneath the cove area of the Necropolis which was blocked by a gate. Beyond the gate was a long hallway which rose above the waterline and surfaced at a round room made out of white stone with ribbed walls containing ornate patterns. At the back wall was a distinctive relief of a face with the eyes sewn shut - representing former Mind guardian Nupraptor. The face was flanked by two Force symbols and three obelisks were placed in the middle of the room in a triangular arrangement around a brain pattern on the floor - with each obelisk bearing bearing a portion of the force symbol atop them. To complete the puzzle Raziel needed to push down all the pillars, toppling them so their symbols matched up to create a full force symbol on the brain design. This is turn activated the altar, causing the eyes of the large stone face to open and allowing Raziel to gain the Force Glyph.[Soul Reaver][Soul Reaver/Force]
In the Soul Reaver alphas, the Force Glyph altar is positioned in a different location with the glyph appearing to be gained much later in the game. Rather than being found beneath the cove in the Necropolis, the Force glyph altar is instead positioned in a passage at the end of the boat area of the Drowned Abbey. The altar is notably underwater meaning that projectiles are required to complete the puzzle - this functionality is missing from the retail version where projectiles are ineffective.[Soul Reaver][Soul Reaver/Force]
The other five obtainable glyphs in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver were intended to be represented by a glyph altar and an accompanying Reaver forge - there the Wraith Blade could be imbued with elemental powers, such as Sound, Stone, Sunlight, and Water. The Force Glyph is the sole exception; no sources support the idea that a Force Reaver was ever planned. Therefore, the Force Glyph altar was the only Force-associated location designed for the game.
Inhabitants and collectibles
- The Force Glyph: "Waves of telekinetic force stream from Raziel, throwing enemies backward. Telekinetically flung enemies may end up damaged or destroyed, depending on what they impact."[Soul Reaver manual (US)][Soul Reaver]
- The "Glyph altars" are named as such in the Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver manual. The Force Glyph altar is simply referred to as the "Force Glyph Room" in the official guide.[Soul Reaver manual (US)][Soul Reaver manual (UK)][Soul Reaver strategy guide (Prima)]
- The areas relating to the Force Glyph altar are all found under the "out" designation which relates to the external areas of the Necropolis. The individual rooms are labelled as follows: "out14" relates to the passageway leading into the altar, while "out15" relates to the altar area itself.[Soul Reaver][Soul Reaver/4][Soul Reaver/Force]
- In developmental and alpha versions of the game the altar was originally a part of the Drowned Abbey. As such the "out14" and "out15" rooms were not present in early builds - in these the altar was labelled along with the "aluka" listings related to the Rahabim and the Drowned Abbey as "aluka26".
- As with other Glyph altars, the Force Glyph altar has its own chapter of the official strategy guide - named "Force Glyph". Despite being an optional component of the game the guide places the chapter immediately following the Necropolis and Melchiah chapters of the game, suggesting to gain it after gaining the Phasing through gates ability. This is the earliest that the Glyph could be legitimately gained.[Soul Reaver strategy guide (Prima)][Soul Reaver/Force][Soul Reaver/5]
- Though not formally discussed in the game the face presented in the Force Glyph altar is that Nupraptor - the last guardian of the Pillar of the Mind who appeared as the first boss of Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain and was last seen in chapter Nupraptor which showed his death at Kain's hands. The bulbous head and sewn eyes both relate to the old guardian, as does the relative proximity of the ruined Nupraptor's Retreat to the Necropolis and the Force Glyph altar. The powers of the Force Glyph could also be considered to be related to the telekinetic abilities associated with the Mind Guardian.[Blood Omen/2][Blood Omen/3]
- Although somewhat obscured in the retail version, the glyph altars are all formed from variations of the same basic room template - a distinctive V-shaped room with a domed ceiling, ribbed walls and an arrangement of six pillars around a stepped altar. The Force glyph altar emphasizes the wall decorations and omits most of the pillars (only including the puzzle-related obelisks), but the basic shape is still visible.[Soul Reaver][Soul Reaver/Force][Soul Reaver/Stone][Soul Reaver/Sound][Soul Reaver/City][Soul Reaver/Fire][Soul Reaver/Sunlight]
- Force Glyph
- Force Glyph (chapter)
- Nupraptor's Head
- Nupraptor's Retreat
- Stone Glyph Altar
- Sound Glyph Altar
- Water Glyph Altar
- Fire Glyph Altar
- Sunlight Glyph Altar
- Glyphs at Dark Chronicle (by Ardeth Silvereni).
- The Necropolis at Dark Chronicle (by Ardeth Silvereni).
- Map at Nosgothic Realm (by Tenaya, Guilherme Coelho and Andrew Fradley).
- Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (Jan 23, 1999 prototype)
- Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (Feb 4, 1999 prototype)
- Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (Feb 16, 1999 prototype)
- The Elemental Reavers at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- The Elemental Reaver Forges at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- Nupraptor the Mentalist at Dark Chronicle (by Ardeth Silvereni)