Dimension was a sphere of metaphysical law within Nosgoth, and one of the nine magical principles harnessed and governed by the Pillars of Nosgoth. Alongside its sister principle, the Mind, it was associated with the elemental force of Air, which, in turn, was aligned with the overarching principle of Light.
The principle of Dimension concerned the distinctions between Nosgoth's Material, Spectral, and Demon Realms. The Dimension Guardians, culled by the Pillars, could perceive and shift between these planes of existence, and were charged with controlling and defining the very boundaries, consistency and form of space itself.
Profile[edit | edit source]
As a magical and metaphysical fundament, Dimension was effectively made manifest everywhere in Nosgoth, but was most prominently and saliently represented by the Pillar of Dimension, which was raised before Nosgoth's recorded history.[Blood Omen/9][Soul Reaver 2] The Pillar, like its eight counterparts, was intrinsically linked to the health of Nosgoth, and was protected by the Dimension Guardian, who served as a personification of the principle. At least three Dimension Guardians were known to exist: the original Guardian, a martyred Guardian, and Azimuth the Planer.[Soul Reaver 2][Blood Omen][Defiance]
The Ancient vampires recognized Dimension as being linked to the principle of the Mind by its association with the elemental force of Air.[Defiance/6] Air itself was aligned with the elemental force of Light.[Soul Reaver 2] When Raziel encountered the specters of the original Dimension and Mind Guardians in the Vampire Citadel, he harnessed and absorbed their soul essence to obtain the Air Reaver.[Defiance/6]
Locations representing Dimension included Avernus Cathedral.[Blood Omen] Items representing Dimension included the Pillar token, Azimuth's Eye, and the Balance Emblem's Dimension fragment.[Blood Omen/Miscellaneous] Abilities representing Dimension included the power to summon Demons, shifting, teleportation, the Dimension Reaver spell, and the attacks known as Spatial Rift and Blast of Distortion.[Blood Omen/8][Defiance strategy guide]
Development[edit | edit source]
Like all of its peers, the representation of Dimension on the Pillar of Dimension changed between its Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain debut and Soul Reaver 2.[Soul Reaver 2][Blood Omen][Soul Reaver] In its original form, Dimension was symbolized in the form of a transparent, partially-intangible band near the base of the Pillar.[Blood Omen] In Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, the same Pillar simply featured a dark, blue texture.[Soul Reaver] Soul Reaver 2, and all Legacy of Kain games since, have consistently used a distinct, abstract symbol to represent Dimension, both on the Pillar band and elsewhere.[Soul Reaver 2][Defiance][Blood Omen 2] One instance of what may be an alternative symbol appears in a mural in Soul Reaver 2's Light Forge.[Soul Reaver 2]
The mythological relationship between the Pillars' nine magical principles and the classical elements was first suggested by a diagram seen on the main platform in the Subterranean Pillars Chamber of Soul Reaver 2, and was confirmed in Legacy of Kain: Defiance.[Soul Reaver 2][Defiance] The Complete Guide To Legacy of Kain, Legacy of Kain: Defiance: Prima's Official Strategy Guide, and series art director Daniel Cabuco, clarified the definition of Dimension, and the roles and responsibilities of its Circle of Nine.[Defiance strategy guide]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
- Air Reaver (Defiance)
- Azimuth's Eye
- Dimension fragment
- Dimension Glyph
- Dimension Guardian
- Martyred Dimension Guardian
- Original Dimension Guardian
- Light (element)
- Pillar of Dimension
- Pillars of Nosgoth
- Soul Reaver 2: Pillars' Platform Diagram at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn and Corpse87).
- Defiance: Raziel's Reavers at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn).
- Legacy of Kain: All Circle of Nine at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn).
- Legacy of Kain: All Pillar Symbols at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn).
- The Pillar Glyphs at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln).
- Deleted Pillar Reaver Upgrades at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln).
References[edit | edit source]
- Soul Reaver 2: Background Story at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn)
- Legacy of Kain: All Circle of Nine at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn)
- Soul Reaver 2: Pillars' Platform Diagram at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn)
- Deleted Pillar Reaver Upgrades at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- The Players at SK: The Complete Guide To Legacy of Kain (archived at Dark Chronicle)
- Legacy of Kain: All Pillar Symbols at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn)
- Soul Reaver 2: Director's Interview - PlayStation 2 Feature at IGN (by Douglass Perry), page 6
- The Pillar Glyphs at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- So many questions at DCabDesign (by Luke27), post #11 (by Daniel Cabuco)