Conflict was a sphere of metaphysical law within Nosgoth, and one of the nine magical principles harnessed and governed by the Pillars of Nosgoth. Alongside its sister principle, Nature, it was associated with the elemental force of Fire, which, in turn, was aligned with the overarching principle of Light.
The principle of Conflict concerned the constant dichotomy between peace and war in Nosgoth. The Conflict Guardians, culled by the Pillars, could incite or resolve wars or arguments, drew their powers from battle, and were charged with presiding over the precepts of change and upheaval.
As a magical and metaphysical fundament, Conflict was effectively made manifest everywhere in Nosgoth, but was most prominently and saliently represented by the Pillar of Conflict, which was raised before Nosgoth's recorded history.[Blood Omen/9][Soul Reaver 2] The Pillar, like its eight counterparts, was intrinsically linked to the health of Nosgoth, and was protected by the Conflict Guardian, who served as a personification of the principle. At least two Conflict Guardians were known to exist: the original Guardian, and Malek the Paladin.[Soul Reaver 2][Blood Omen][Defiance]
The Ancient vampires recognized Conflict as being linked to the principle of Nature by its association with the elemental force of Fire.[Defiance/6] Fire itself was aligned with the elemental force of Light.[Soul Reaver 2] When Raziel encountered the specters of the original Conflict and Nature Guardians in the Vampire Citadel, he harnessed and absorbed their soul essence to obtain the Fire Reaver.[Defiance/6]
Locations representing Conflict included Malek's Bastion.[Blood Omen] Items representing Conflict included the Pillar token, Malek's Helmet, and the Balance Emblem's Flame fragment.[Blood Omen/Miscellaneous][Defiance/2] Generally, skills in battle encompassed abilities representing Conflict, as too did the Flame Reaver spell, and the specific attacks known as Call Shadows and Discord Bolt.[Blood Omen/4][Defiance strategy guide]
Like all of its peers, the representation of Conflict on the Pillar of Conflict changed between its Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain debut and Soul Reaver 2.[Soul Reaver 2][Blood Omen][Soul Reaver] In its original form, Conflict was symbolized in the form of the icon for the Inspire Hate spell adorning the band near the base of the Pillar.[Blood Omen] In Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, the same Pillar simply featured a dark, red texture.[Soul Reaver] Soul Reaver 2, and all Legacy of Kain games since, have consistently used a distinct, abstract symbol to represent Conflict, both on the Pillar band and elsewhere.[Soul Reaver 2][Defiance][Blood Omen 2] One instance of what may be an alternative symbol appears in a mural in Soul Reaver 2's Light Forge.[Soul Reaver 2]
The mythological relationship between the Pillars' nine magical principles and the classical elements was first suggested by a diagram seen on the main platform in the Subterranean Pillars Chamber of Soul Reaver 2, and was confirmed in Legacy of Kain: Defiance.[Soul Reaver 2][Defiance] The Complete Guide To Legacy of Kain, Legacy of Kain: Defiance: Prima's Official Strategy Guide, and series art director Daniel Cabuco, clarified the definition of Conflict, and the roles and responsibilities of its Circle of Nine.[Defiance strategy guide]
- Conflict Glyph
- Conflict Guardian
- Original Conflict Guardian
- Fire Reaver (Defiance)
- Flame fragment
- Malek's Helmet
- Light (element)
- Pillar of Conflict
- Pillars of Nosgoth
- Soul Reaver 2: Pillars' Platform Diagram at Dark Chronicle (by Ardeth Silvereni and Corpse87).
- Defiance: Raziel's Reavers at Dark Chronicle (by Ardeth Silvereni).
- Legacy of Kain: All Circle of Nine at Dark Chronicle (by Ardeth Silvereni).
- Legacy of Kain: All Pillar Symbols at Dark Chronicle (by Ardeth Silvereni).
- The Pillar Glyphs at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln).
- Deleted Pillar Reaver Upgrades at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln).
- Soul Reaver 2: Background Story at Dark Chronicle (by Ardeth Silvereni)
- Legacy of Kain: All Circle of Nine at Dark Chronicle (by Ardeth Silvereni)
- Soul Reaver 2: Pillars' Platform Diagram at Dark Chronicle (by Ardeth Silvereni)
- Deleted Pillar Reaver Upgrades at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- Legacy of Kain: All Pillar Symbols at Dark Chronicle (by Ardeth Silvereni)
- Soul Reaver 2: Director's Interview - PlayStation 2 Feature at IGN (by Douglass Perry), page 6
- The Pillar Glyphs at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- The Players at SK: The Complete Guide To Legacy of Kain (archived at Dark Chronicle)
- So many questions at DCabDesign (by Luke27), post #11 (by Daniel Cabuco)