The Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain alpha was the unpublished July 12, 1996 build of Blood Omen. A group of Legacy of Kain fans, including the administrators of The Lost Worlds, the Legacy of Kain Wiki, and The Ancient's Den, collectively revealed it to the public in December 2018.
The alpha exhibits many substantial differences compared to both the Blood Omen beta and the retail version of the game, including an early concept of the world map of Nosgoth and corresponding Overland; preliminary or cut iterations of hundreds of game maps; several additional dialogues and vista points; prototypical implementation of mechanics such as magic energy; and two cut spells.
Ben Lincoln of The Lost Worlds obtained the alpha in summer 2018 from an anonymous source, and publicized it on December 1, in conjunction with the administrators of the Legacy of Kain Wiki and Raina Audron of The Ancient's Den. It was revealed alongside the Blood Omen beta, and several prerelease versions of Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. Gh0stBlade, Eoghan, Andrew, Kevin, and Mama Robotnik also received credit for their involvement in retrieving the builds.
- The Cemetery features a sixth, central mausoleum, and three discrete crypts, which were modified and combined into the extended crypt connecting the center-west and center-east mausoleums in time for the beta. Each crypt houses switches which unlock gates in the outer graveyard, and is bookended by turnstiles designed to prevent Kain from backtracking after unlocking the next gate, which are only encountered at the Lightning Dungeon in subsequent builds. The secret guide to Nosgoth's blood script is not present in the alpha, with the entrance to the respective room positioned elsewhere and freely accessible. The heavy boulders involved in the puzzle to unlock the final room are already in place, but no floor switches are hidden below them.
- The lake identified as the Lake of Tears in the new map of Nosgoth occupies a smaller space on the world map, but connects to and from Nachtholm Cove on the east. The game sector representing the Lake is almost identical to its equivalents in later builds.
- Nachtholm Cove
- The Pillars of Nosgoth are situated north of Nachtholm, far from their eventual position north of Ziegsturhl. They are accessed on foot by roads leading north from Nachtholm Cove and west towards the Energy Bolt Dungeon, not by teleporters. The path leading west from the Pillars is also home to the Light Dungeon, and a version of the brigands' base which was later moved to Nachtholm Cove.
- The Lake of the Dead is differently shaped, and situated further north than its final incarnation. The east side of the lake has been roughly blocked out in game, and spans two vertical sectors on the road from the Oracle's Cave to the Termogent Forest.
- The Termogent Forest
- Dark Eden
- The Lake of Serenity
- The Land of the Nemesis
- The Lake of Lost Souls
- The Plains of Blood
- Willendorf City
- Kain's Mausoleum
- The Light Dungeon
- The Energy Bolt Dungeon
- The Wolf Form Dungeon
- Nupraptor's Retreat
- The Repel Dungeon
- The Bone Armor Dungeon
- The Inspire Hate Dungeon
- Malek's Bastion
- The Stun Dungeon
- The Oracle's Cave
- The Mist Form Dungeon
- The Lost City is entirely absent, with other content occupying its eventual place in the data.
- The Blood Gout Dungeon
- The Control Mind Dungeon
- The Flame Sword Dungeon
- Vorador's Mansion
- The Dark Eden Castle
- The Lightning Dungeon
- Avernus Cathedral
- The Avernus Catacombs are entirely absent, with other content occupying their eventual place in the data.
- The Spirit Wrack Dungeon
- The Provincial Mines
- Elzevir the Dollmaker
- The Stronghold of William the Just
- The Great Southern Lake
- HCMS Bitter is entirely absent, with other content occupying its eventual place in the data.
- Welcome to Hell
- Seeking Revenge
- The Hunt for Malek
- Find the Oracle
- Vorador's Mansion
- Threaten the Circle
- Defeat Azimuth
- Ottmar's Daughter
- Stranded in Time
- The Vampire Purges
- To the End
- Blood fountains
- Blood script
- Status box
- The status screen's "slayings" counter has an upper limit of 3000, while "time played" counter starts at "000 days and 00 hours", rather than "004 days 17 hours."
- Switches are manually activated with the action button.
- Vista points
- World map
- Kain's description of the Heart of Darkness features additional dialogue:
- "Reputed to have been ripped from the chest of the greatest vampire to have ever existed, Janos Audron, the Heart of Darkness restores vampiric unlife. It can be used over and over again, but always consumes magical energy from the one who uses it. Life is precious, Janos discovered – as it was torn throbbing and bleeding from his own body."
- ―Kain — Listen (file info)[src]
- Magic energy
- Rune triangles are purple in the alpha, corresponding with the lowest-strength magic spheres and the lowest tier on the build's magic meter, rather than blue.
- A doll distinct from Elzevir's Doll, apparently performing the middle finger gesture, and an item resembling a tire appear among the artifacts in the Oracle's Cave museum.
- Inspire Hate is represented by two crossed swords against a teal background, rather than the red background of subsequent builds.
- Force Shield
- Magic Absorb
- ↑ The Chess Match at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Alpha and Beta Versions at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- ↑ Updates in 2018 at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- ↑ Soul Reaver Beta and Blood Omen Alpha new discoveries at The Ancient's Den (by Raina Audron)
- ↑ 1 December at 18:02 at Facebook (by Ben Lincoln)
- ↑ Additional Crypt Dungeons at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)