Anarcrothe's Scales, or Anarcrothe's Alchemical Scales, were a Pillar token, associated with the Pillar of States and the States Guardian Anarcrothe. They appeared in Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, used by Kain to briefly repair the States Pillar, shortly prior to his decision to refuse the sacrifice.
Profile[edit | edit source]
- "The scales of Anarcrothe, used to measure out unholy substances in alchemy."
- ―Kain — Listen (file info)[src]
As the States Guardian, Anarcrothe received the Scales in his youth – they served as his gift from, and link to, the States Pillar, and enhanced his inherent abilities.[Blood Omen/3] The Scales could be "used to measure out unholy substances in alchemy", and may have played into the ambitious experiment which resulted in Anarcrothe's accidental scarring by "acidic energies".[Blood Omen/Miscellaneous] They were the final Pillar token dispensed by the Pillar of States before its collapse at the end of the events of Blood Omen.[Blood Omen/12]
Following the corruption of the Pillars, the young Balance Guardian and vampire, Kain, was tasked with returning the Pillar tokens to the respective Pillars of Nosgoth.[Blood Omen/3] Anarcrothe became the seventh of the eight Guardians killed on this quest; he died at the hands of the Death Guardian, Mortanius, at the Pillars.[Blood Omen/11] Shortly afterward, Kain collected Anarcrothe's Scales and Mortanius's Death Orb, during his battle with the Dark Entity. He placed them before the corrupt Pillar of States; the Pillar accepted its offering, and was, for a moment, restored.[Blood Omen/12]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This Pillar token is referred to under the name "Anarcrothe's Scales" in the Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain manual, but is instead cited as "Anarcrothe's Alchemical Scales" in the in-game inventory screen.[Blood Omen]
- Anarcrothe's Scales and Malek's Helmet are the only Pillar tokens which Kain obtains without facing their owner in a boss battle immediately prior.[Blood Omen]
- Like Mortanius's Death Orb, it is not actually necessary to collect Anarcrothe's Scales in the game. The two tokens only appear in the battle with the Dark Entity, and the story advances when the Entity is defeated, regardless of whether Kain picks up either of the quest items during the fight. Nevertheless, within the story, Kain does utilize the Scales, and restores the States Pillar for a time.[Blood Omen]
See also[edit | edit source]
- Circle of Nine
- Pillar of States
- Pillar tokens
- Pillars of Nosgoth
- States Guardian
- Blood Omen: Tokens at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn).
References[edit | edit source]
Browse[edit | edit source]