The Unknown Male Vampire was a minor cut character originally planned to have featured in Soul Reaver 2. The cutscene featuring him was removed and he is never mentioned or referenced ingame, rendering his status in the Legacy of Kain continuity dubious.
Role and Background
- "What is it?...He's not one of us...Stay away!"
- ―The Unknown Male Vampire[src]
During the development of Soul Reaver 2, there was some debate among the crew about how to portray the Vampires in earlier eras, prior to the rise of Kain's progeny and his empire in the events of Soul Reaver. Early designs were known to have featured a cinematic in the history preceding Blood Omen at the Shrine in which Raziel observed an unnamed Female vampire being attacked and killed by a group of Vampire hunters who then proceeded to attack Raziel. The cinematic was removed after it was felt that it did not fit in well with the rest of the game, turning audience sympathies too quickly and dialogue from the cutscene was also deemed imperfect.
Though the sequence was removed, both the audio of the cinematic and the character model of the Female Vampire remain in the files of Soul Reaver 2 and can be extracted through various means.[Soul Reaver 2][Soul Reaver 2/Cut content] The Female Vampire model can also be viewed in-game and her (inactive) model is hidden behind the walls nearby.[Soul Reaver 2] Artwork in the Bonus materials of Soul Reaver 2 by Kory Heinzen showed the Female Vampire along with a number of other deleted second generation Vampires that had been planned to feature in the game - among them was a male vampire that was apparently her counterpart.[Soul Reaver 2]
In 2021 the exposure of the Soul Reaver 2 beta made the cutscenes featuring the vampires available to the public for the first time. Here the pair were initially encountered together along the path leading away from the lake where the male vampire was untextured and voiced his suspicions of Raziel before they retreated. As he progressed to the gate outside the pillars Raziel would then find the female vampire alone and pinned down by a pair of vampire hunters who executed her before turning on Raziel. Her counterpart was nowhere to be seen perhaps suggesting that he had already fallen victim to the hunters by the time Raziel caught up with them.
Beyond his appearance, little is known of the history or personality of the male vampire: he was given no back-story, his dialogue consists of a single line expressing distrust of Raziel, and he remained unnamed during the production of Soul Reaver 2.[Soul Reaver 2][Soul Reaver 2/Cut content] As the cutscene featuring him was removed and he is never mentioned or referenced in-game, his status in the Legacy of Kain continuity is dubious. Unlike his female counterpart the artwork of the vampire in Bonus materials is all that remains in the retail version and no trace of the vampire, his model or his dialogue is left in game files. [Soul Reaver 2]
- No name has yet been definitively established for the male vampire. The "BeforeVampM" label is entirely conjectural based upon the label applied his female counterpart in game files and artwork - "BeforeVampF". An "M" variant would seem to be a likely label for the male vampire in beta game files and this is indeed the case where he is labelled as "bvampm".[Soul Reaver 2]
- The Male Vampire that appears in game in untetxured and unfinished and he appears completely white with a few black markings. In the concepts seen in bonus materials the male vampire has long black hair, pointed ears and wears brown trousers and boots, along with a brown and red tunic.[Soul Reaver 2]
- With the cinematic involving the Vampire pair was decided to be cut, some of the crew attempted to introduce a similar cinematic in a Vampire village above the Swamp. This sequence also ended up cut for similar reasons, and in the final release of Soul Reaver 2 Janos Audron and Vorador were the only members of previous vampire generations seen alive. Though concepts for another pair of vampires to be met in the swamp could be found in Bonus materials[Soul Reaver 2]
- The Soul Reaver 2 beta revealed that in fact all four of the earlier vampire designs had apparently made it into earlier versions of the game. The other vampire pair are encountered in the Swamp in Nosgoth's early history but the vampire village is not present and they simply look down on Raziel from a ledge.
- The Unknown Male Vampire is played by Richard Doyle - who usually provides the voice of Moebius.
- Vampires (second generation)
- Early History Vampire (Male)
- Early History Vampire (Female)
- Legacy of Kain Wiki:Soul Reaver 2 transcript/Cut content
- Vampires (Soul Reaver 2) at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln).
- Raziel Witnesses a Vampire Slaying at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln).
- My Visit to Crystal Dynamics at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- Raziel Witnesses a Vampire Slaying at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- Vampires (Soul Reaver 2) at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- Chris@Crystal's Greatest Hits at the Eidos Forums (by Divine Shadow)
- Weaponry and other questions at DCabDesign (by BazL), post #2 (by Daniel Cabuco)
- Locate the Female Vampire in Soul Reaver 2 at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- Soul Reaver 2 (Jul 17, 2001 prototype)